Despite a slow 2015, growth is expected across Taiwan in 2016. Digital professionals—particularly those with e-commerce and digital marketing skills – are highly sought after and can expect to be paid a premium Tainan professionals searching for jobs in these sectors who have senior leadership experience and English language skills, are well placed to attract good offers.
The general Taiwanese employment landscape is looking positive: 81% of employers1 reported that they would either maintain or increase headcount in the following year,according to the same survey. Employers were forecasting an increase in salaries of 1-5%2. However, many professionals are looking to mainland China for higher salaries and greater opportunities.
The Tainan job market
Manufacturing was once the main industrial output of the area, and it remains an important part of Tainan’s local economy, together with a strong presence of auto, textiles, plastics, and food processing businesses. Since 1995, however, the development of the Southern Taiwan Science Park has turned the city into a major tech industry hub.
The retail and services sector is a major source of employment in the city. Employers are now looking for retail professionals with experience in learning and development. Meanwhile, the pharmaceutical, manufacturing and industrial sectors are actively hiring salespeople, meaning sales professionals in Tainan are in high demand. Agriculture, which has always featured strongly in the city’s economy, remains extremely important to Tainan.
Experienced professionals in Tainan will be in a strong position to find employment, with companies seeking the best candidates to step in and help grow the business. Taiwan is the fifth-largest economy in Asia, and many companies require skilled employees to help them reach their targets and goals for continued growth.
If you’re looking for a Tainan job opportunity, our top tips and employment advice will help you in your search:
- Your resume should include detailed and relevant information about your work history and skills. Tailoring your resume to the job you’re applying for is a wise move.
- Research the Tainan job market and know the general market salary so that you understand what you’re worth.
- Ask your recruiter about where the latest job opportunities are, and about local demand for your skills.
- Before attending the interview, spend time reviewing the company’s website and their social media channels to learn more about their operations and needs
- Prepare a list of questions to ask during the interview. This shows that you’ve researched the business and its industry thoroughly, and have knowledge of what challenges they might face. Asking these questions can set you apart from your competition.
- Before accepting a job offer, consider what matters to you in a role (for instance, opportunities for career advancement in the future, good pay, cultural fit, opportunities for networking, or work-life balance).
Browse Tainan job opportunities today, and we’ll help you find a role that’s a good fit for both you and your future employer.
1. Based on the Michael Page 2016 Greater China Salary & Employment Outlook
2. Based on the Michael Page 2016 Greater China Salary & Employment Outlook